Meandering Shawarma

We are all nomads, bedouins and gypsies --- always on our feet in quest for glory, fortune, love, happiness and fulfillment. I am Filipino yet the best part of my life has been spent in the vast deserts of the Middle East. My culture clashed with a lot of things. Sometimes, I see a different person in the mirror. I am a shawarma. I am a meandering shawarma. My quest is to be home soon. How soon? Only this blog will eventually tell.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Talk to Google's Larry Page in 2038

This humorous futuristic interview with Google's Larry Page at Google Blogoscoped is a surefire humor but it is also ominous. Check the portion I have quoted below:

I find it fascinating these days, you can have conversations with the Google search box like it would be your best friend.
Exactly. This was the stuff we wanted to have there from the beginning. Some of us thought it would take us 300 years, but they didn’t include robotic personnel working for us into the calculation. This changes the whole game. But with this high artificial intelligence naturally come new problems as well.

Are you referring to the case of the teenager committing suicide after being rejected?
Right. Because the Google AI was so friendly to her and listened to all of her problems, everyday, she fell in love with it. When she wanted more, we just couldn’t offer this to her. This is quite tragic and we’re currently introducing mechanisms to make the Google AI come off as a bit more “unlovable.”

Like what mechanisms?
Every once in a while, it will say “shut up.” [laughs]


The entire piece is worth the read. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home