Meandering Shawarma

We are all nomads, bedouins and gypsies --- always on our feet in quest for glory, fortune, love, happiness and fulfillment. I am Filipino yet the best part of my life has been spent in the vast deserts of the Middle East. My culture clashed with a lot of things. Sometimes, I see a different person in the mirror. I am a shawarma. I am a meandering shawarma. My quest is to be home soon. How soon? Only this blog will eventually tell.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas 2005 List

Ten things I will miss this Christmas:

1. People I love: my family, Jenn, my dearest friends, the Managers for Christ, my loyal friends in Saudi Arabia, and many more who are not in Bahrain.

2. My room: small but my very private domain.

3. My state-of-the-art PC: My brother Glenn has condemned the poor PC to oblivion.

4. Spending rampage: I would loved to but I can not, ask my employer why!

5. Sinful food: I am watching my health now, I think I'm winning so far. I have maanged to reduce on my carbohydrate intake.

6. The Metro Manila Film Festival Philippines: I don't care if Philippines movies are still a far cry from their Hollywood counterparts, I just love to enjoy the season at the movies.

7. Christmas cards: For several years now, I no longer receive Christmas cards via the postal service. All of them are on my mailbox - Eudora, Yahoo, Hotmail, Myrealbox and now Gmail. I am returning thefavor too! But I will have to give up my support of the UNESCO cards. Am sorry.

8. The noisy barrage of tots carolling out of tune: You know them! They usually sing only one song - "Ang Pasko ay sumapit...." - while jingling their homemade tambourines fashioned out of flattened softdrink and beer crowns. They are no longer happy with one peso. The nerve of these kids! But, they are really heavenly and fun! And only in the Philippines!

9. The hustle and bustle of Christmas in the Philippines: No amount of difficulty can break the Christmas spirit of the Filipinos. You would just not believe we are in a tough economic situation with all the spending happening around. And I am not referring to the mushroom malls around the cities but to the "classic" Divisoria and Baclaran!

10. The noce buena I usually prepare single-handedly: Yes, I do all the shopping, planning, cooking and arranging the noche buena table. And you expect me to clean the mess after the dinner?! But I really enjoy it when everybody enjoys my dinner! Am a frustrated iron chef!

Still, I will have a merry Christmas in Bahrain.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home